The Festival has an Artistic Director who is appointed and dismissed by the Minister of Culture.
The Minister of Culture, from the ranks of prominent film experts, appoints the Artistic Director. The mandate of the Artistic Director lasts two years.
The Artistic Director prepares and submits to the Festival Board the following:
- The Festival programme, which includes the Main programme and accompanying programmes (industrial and networking)
- Selectors for the accompanying programmes
- International guests
- Film titles for the main and accompanying programmes
- Schedule of film screenings
- The composition of the Festival Jury.
The Festival Council approves the above proposals by a majority vote.
The Artistic Director is responsible for the execution of the programme.